Pre-paid In-flight Entertainment System Development
t the Client
The client is a leading airlines company.
The client envisaged to have an In-Flight Entertainment System based on a prepaid USB stick usage.Using it,airlines customers could buy time-units from a charging terminal (Laptop) & enjoy in-flight entertainment such as video or even buy gifts in the flight.ALTEN Calsoft Labs designed the Proof of Concept (POC) demo to showcase it to potential customers at a trade show (WAEA).
The biggest challenge was the time and the demo was to be made ready in 5 weeks for the WAEA exhibition in US. The activity included from building the hardware including ARM boards,relay boards and development of ARM board firmware to the AVOD server, Hand-held terminal, POS terminal application and GU.
- The system is based on ARM9 micro controller based Seat Control Unit (SCU)
- SCU software validates a pre-programmed USB stick, controls the AVOD (Audio Video on Demand) server, controls the power to AC outlet, keep track of the number of time-units consumed after validation & available time-units after the usage
- AVOD server is connected to SCU which keeps running ads normally but switches to entertainment menu when a command prompts
- Charging station is used to recharge a USB Stick with required time-units through credit /debit cards
- Hand-held terminal is used to check the available time units in USB stick or shopping in-flight
- Anytime and anywhere use
- Hardware: ARM9, USB 2.0, Ethernet, LCD, RS232, GPIO
- Software: Windows XP,Timesys Linux 2.6, .NET
Let’s fast-track your next big idea