Google IO 2017
Google IO is the yearly developer conference by Google. Its main event is called Keynote, where all Google future products are introduced. This year it happened from 17 May 2017 to 19 May 2017.
Google’s Developer conference Google I/O 2017 started with Keynote event on May 17, 2017 . As usual Sundar Pichai started the keynote with his speech, mentioning Google’s new tagline “From Mobile first to AI first”. This year, google is mainly focusing on Machine Learning and Artificial intelligence. Following is the quick summary of the keynote.
- Google Assistants improvements – Interaction with mobile devices are going to take a major shift from touch & type to voice & vision, with help of AI. Google Assistant will run on iPhone as well – right from searching a local restaurant, ordering food and paying it all in one app using the Google Assistant. Google assistant supports multiple languages with translation in built.
- Google lens is an enhancement of Google Assistant and will redefine the way we use photos and videos by recognizing objects in images and videos. By using Machine learning algorithms, Google lens will find object scanned, read and recognize the text and numbers using camera.
- Google Cloud TPUs is the open source Google compute engine that will learn and apply ML .
- Neural beam is a Machine Learning technology in Google home which will recognize different voices and offer free calls and noise correction. With this, one can perform its personal tasks using voices in the same device. For e.g. “Call Mom” command will call my Mom when Google home will hear my voice and it will call my Wife’s mom when Google home will hear her voice instead of mine.
- ai – Google.ai site will help in research, build tools and applied Machine Learning in real world.
- Google assistant & SDK – Google assistant & SDK is out and all developers can use voice as the new interaction in any platform.
- Google Auto draw –Auto draw is a Machine Learning product. Using this, anyone can draw perfect images by drawing few lines or circles. Google will suggest images by actions you make.
- Virtual Reality – Daydream will extend from pixel to other devices and partners like Samsung. Google also glimpsed their idea about standalone VR devices (the VR device will work without any mobile devices in it) which will to be introduced and released later this year. Google is working with HTC and Lenovo to make this happen.
- Augmented Reality – AR has improved much on Android apps and devices . For e.g. Showing restaurants on a camera, you can find the ratings of the restaurants and combining with Google lens you can directly call the numbers in the boards. Google has come up with AR improvements on education with google expeditions.
- Google Photos – With Machine Learning techniques, Google photos understand photos and can recognize the faces and activities in the photos you are uploading. It also has a new sharing option that lets you share photos automatically with others, though you can restrict what photos to share automatically and what not. This sharing option in the Google photos app will be rolled out soon.
- YouTube – YouTube live chat API, Super chats and 360° video for TVs are new on the YouTube section.
- VPS – Visual positioning system, Google’s beru own indoor navigation system, will mainly help retailers to find the product location with precision.
- Android – Android O (not named yet, expected to be Android Oreo) features fluid experience with the help of multi window picture in picture and Vitals for battery life. Notification dots for apps (that appear on the screen when you have an unread notification), and select text are also possible with the help of Machine Learning. Easy debugging, advanced profiling are yet to come on Android. Kotlin is the official language for Android development. Android Go will be the later version of Androids for low end devices that operate with 512M or 1G RAMs.
- Finale – The keynote ended with a strong message to the government about how to fix the jobs shortage with right talents by Google jobs and the story of an immigrant who created an application that uses machine learning to diagnose breast cancer at earliest stage with the help of TensorFlow.
Remember, it’s going to be Mobile First to AI first, making yourself ready for the future.
If you have any query on Goolge IO 2017, please reach out to us at email@example.com